Odysseus 0.8.2 - Public

Discussion of general (non platform specific) MailForge topics including feature requests

Re: Odysseus 0.8.2 - Public

Postby dorkenergy » Tue May 13, 2008 4:11 am

Once a Mail Folder has been created, all subsequently created mailboxes and folders become part of the first created folder. Items cannot be dragged out of that 1st folder.
dorkenergy

Postby dorkenergy » Tue May 13, 2008 4:22 am

Column sorting: initial sorting is correct by date. However, the date becomes "alphabetized" (5/1/07, 5/10/07, 5/11/07, ..., 5/2/07, 5/21/07, ...) if the column header is clicked.

Proper order is recoverable by closing and reopening (Classic) or switching and switching back (Unified).
dorkenergy

Postby dorkenergy » Tue May 13, 2008 4:27 am

After trying some imports ca. 1000 msg and seeing discrepancies in the numbers reported by Eudora vs Odysseus import, tried a small test import of 36 msgs. All msgs imported except for final msg.
dorkenergy

Postby mac-christian » Tue May 13, 2008 9:13 am

Matt Milano wrote:Regarding Gmail... Yes it will work. In our test builds we've made significant progress in communicating with Gmail's servers. We just have the final hurdle to overcome. We're hoping to have it overcome by tomorrow's build.

Regarding leaving mail on the server... At this point Odysseus CANNOT DELETE mail from the server. Because this is a beta, and therefore we're not encouraging people to use it for mission-critical use, we have no intention of even enabling the ability to delete email from the server until the final builds in June.

I've not yet tried the public beta, but I want to throw in another point regarding GMail.

When Eudora (6.2.4/Mac/paid version) is used with the setting "leave mail on server", this works on all my addresses - except with GMail. I am not sure whether this is a misbehaviour of Eudora or a "feature" from GMail, but you might want to look into this point as well.

Thank you, Christian
mac-christian

Postby Tom » Tue May 13, 2008 11:22 am

mac-christian wrote:... with the setting "leave mail on server", this works on all my addresses - except with GMail.

You're presumably using it with POP3.

If you want messages left on the server, you'd be better to use IMAP, anyway, since Google, unusually for a free mail provider, offers that. POP3 wasn't designed for access to mailboxes from multiple locations; IMAP was designed specifically for that.

Unfortunately, Google's IMAP implementation is a little quirky. I suppose this is why IDS's client, like a number of others, has problems with Gmail.

One oddity of Gmail is that Gmail's IMAP was layered on top of an existing system that was designed primarily to function as a web-based interface and uses "labels" (strangely enough, these are actually similar to user-defined IMAP keywords) instead of (and not as well as) mailfolders.

However, by following Google's instructions about what to associate with what it can be made to work reasonably well in several clients. Instructions here:

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answ ... swer=78892

Presumably IDS will offer screenshots to Google once they get Odysseus working with Gmail. It's unfortunate that an instructions page should be necessary for setting up email, but with Gmail it is.
Tom

Postby Tom » Tue May 13, 2008 11:48 am

I'd like to ask about Odysseus's application support folder.

I noticed that the beta put it in
Code: Select all
~/Documents
which seems like a strange place for it.

Maybe this is something to do with its running on Windows, too? However that may be, I'd prefer the directory to be in
Code: Select all
~/Library/Application Support
as is usual for OS X applications.

Will it be possible to specify an alternative path in later versions?
Tom

Postby Ithaca » Tue May 13, 2008 12:05 pm

This is where Eudora stores all the files.
It is the preferred location because it allows for maximum portability.
Computers never do what you want them to do; only what you tell them to do.
Ithaca

Postby Tom » Tue May 13, 2008 2:32 pm

Ithaca wrote:This is where Eudora stores all the files.

Oh, I see. I know the product is intentionally strongly influenced by Eudora. But it does rather put me off the product. It's a rather odd feature to copy, and I don't think a well-behaved OS X app should be putting application support folders in ~/Documents rather than where they belong in, well, Application Support.

http://developer.apple.com/documentatio ... 411-111345
Tom

Postby ltking@hawaii.rr.com » Tue May 13, 2008 9:14 pm

Matt and crew:

According to the pane that pops up when I select "about" I did successfully download 0.8.2.

However, when trying to enter my ISP e-mail information in the preferences selection, I get an "experienced and unrecoverable error" message and my settings are not saved.

So, . . . I obviously cannot yet use the program.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Lonnie
ltking@hawaii.rr.com

Postby lbortles » Wed May 14, 2008 1:14 pm

I'm in the Classic mode on an Intel Mac, OS 10.5.2 and last evening downloaded 1,300 messages just fine. The column headings for the IN basket are Status, Priority, Files, Who, Size, Server and Subject. I don't see a way to add a From column to the listing, which is important for my sorting needs.

I see the Filter function has yet to be activated, which I'm keen to test. This was one of the most important - and powerful - functions of Eudora for me.

I just hit the button to retireve my latest emails and the app crashed.
lbortles

PreviousNext

Return to MailForge - General